Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Now that Computershare is MGE Energy’s new transfer agent, will Shareholder Services personnel still be available at MGE’s offices in Madison?

Yes, MGE Energy has retained our Shareholder Services personnel who will be available either by phone or in person at MGE.

Whom should I contact with questions about my account?

Please call (608) 252-4744 or (800) 356-6423 for questions about your account.

Where do I send my cash payment coupons and cash payments for processing?

Payments should be sent to:

MGE Energy Shareholder Services
c/o Computershare Trust Company, N.A.
PO Box 505005
Louisville, KY 40233-5005

How do I notify MGE Energy that my address changed?

To reduce potential delay in receiving your shareholder mailings, keep your address information current. You can update the address information:

May I consolidate my accounts?

If you have more than one account for the same registered owner(s), you may be able to combine the accounts to:

Is direct dividend deposit available?

We can deposit dividends directly to your financial institution account. We'll send your dividend by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) directly to your designated bank account on the payable date. To sign up for direct deposit, please complete and send a Dividend Deposit Authorization Form available at Investor Center.

When are dividends paid?

Dividends are typically paid quarterly on March 15, June 15, Sept. 15 and Dec. 15.

These dividends are paid to shareholders who own shares at the close of business on the dividend record date: March 1, June 1, Sept. 1 and Dec. 1.

What do I do if a dividend check is lost or stolen?

Contact us immediately. We'll issue a:

  • Stop payment order against the original check.
  • Replacement check.

Once a dividend check is replaced, the original check is no longer valid and must not be cashed if received. The replacement check stub will list the invalid checks.

How can I replace a lost or stolen stock certificate?

Please notify Shareholder Services immediately if your stock certificates are lost or stolen. We will:

  • Place a stop transfer on the certificate.
  • Send you the necessary forms for issuing a replacement certificate.
  • Charge you approximately 3% of the market value of the shares (minimum of $10) to replace the certificate.

How do I transfer shares or change registration, including name changes?

How do I calculate my MGEE Stock Cost-Basis?

At tax time, shareholders must determine their cost-basis to report capital gains taxes to the IRS. To help you calculate this information, we have partnered with NetWorth Services, Inc., to provide a web-based, cost-basis calculation service called NetBasis. There is a charge for this service. Fee information can be found on the NetBasis Website.

To use NetBasis, you will need to supply the following information:

  • Your original purchase/acquisition dates.
  • Number of shares acquired.
  • Number of shares sold.
  • Sale dates.

NetBasis will then be able to supply you with your cost-basis, gain/loss and sale proceeds, and current status of your investment.

How can I get an MGE Energy annual report?

Shareholders are mailed a copy of MGE Energy's annual report every year. Archived copies are available on