As your community energy company, we engage our employees, customers and communities. Working together is how we achieve our goals and strengthen our communities for the benefit of all we serve.
Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
As a utility, MGE prepares for the unexpected. MGE activated its business continuity plans to address the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and to provide for the safety and protection of employees, customers and broader community.
While following the guidance of the state and local officials, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, MGE developed a framework to guide decisions regarding the criticality of operations work to be completed and the manner in which it would occur to ensure the health and safety of employees and customers.
Throughout the public health emergency, MGE continued to provide safe and reliable service and continued the company’s long-standing commitment to work with customers experiencing hardship. As we responded to the pandemic, it also was important that we continued, through our strong partnerships, to reinforce with our community and our employees MGE’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
MGE teams provided support to local organizations assisting communities of color and limited-income customers to address pandemic-related challenges and matters of racial equity. The MGE Foundation contributed toward local relief efforts. And, in a new virtual environment, MGE’s marketing and community services teams expanded the ways in which MGE could connect with and engage our customers safely.
The well-being of our employees also is a top priority. MGE has worked to ensure employees continue to get the care and resources needed from MGE during the pandemic. No MGE employees were laid off or furloughed during our COVID-19 response. Additional leave programs, specific to circumstances related to COVID-19, were created to enable employees to take care of themselves or family members.
Companywide Safety Initiatives
Safety is a core value at MGE. Employees embrace our philosophy of continuous improvement. More information related to safety is available in the Safety and Operations section of our Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report
. MGE’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy is available at mge.com
In 2014, MGE launched a corporate safety commitment to improve our safety culture and begin MGE’s journey to safety excellence. Our Safety Steering Team meets bimonthly to examine safety topics and to identify and to prioritize continuous improvement opportunities.
Our employees have taken the lead to make MGE a safer place to work. Our employee-led Continuous Improvement Teams (CI Teams) are one example.
- MGE’s safety vision statement was developed by one of our employee-led CI Teams. Our safety vision statement—we power safety—is highly visible throughout our organization.
- In 2020, MGE employees achieved historic safety results. Despite working through a global pandemic, we recorded our lowest-ever recordable incident rate.
- OSHA recordable injuries at MGE continue to decline companywide, decreasing by more than 60% throughout the last five years.
- In 2017, an employee-led CI Team developed a proactive near-miss/good catch reporting process to encourage reporting that identifies, documents, addresses and allows everyone to learn from safety impacts in a safe, no-blame environment. In four years of using the process, more than 180 near-miss/good catch reports have been filed. Sharing reports with employees is designed to help all employees learn about safety issues and to help prevent incidents.
A Culture of Diversity and Inclusion
At MGE, we value diversity, equity and inclusion. MGE promotes an inclusive, respectful work environment where individuals and groups can achieve their full potential. MGE supports all employees and provides equitable access to employment and development opportunities.
MGE’s goal is to create a healthy, inclusive, safe and productive work environment for all. All employees are responsible for assisting MGE in meeting the objectives of our diversity and inclusion policy as well as supporting the concepts of equal opportunity and affirmative action. We believe our collective diversity makes us stronger and more complete, both within MGE and throughout our community.
One of our corporate initiatives aims to ensure our increasingly diverse customers and employees experience us as “their” community energy company. Through an executive-led working group with representation from across the company, we continue our focus on customer communication and engagement as well as skills development and training to further promote an inclusive and respectful work environment to better serve our customers and communities.
Every employee at MGE experiences programming around a wide range of topics including diversity, harassment and our Code of Ethics. Employees who witness any harassment or discrimination issues are encouraged to bring them to the attention of Human Resources or file a report using our anonymous employee hotline.
MGE’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement is available at mge.com
Our Statement on Human Rights
As your community energy company, MGE recognizes its impact on human rights and embraces the protection of human rights as a fundamental value. MGE’s statement on human rights outlines the company’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; safe and healthy working conditions; and fair labor and worker rights. The statement also outlines expectations for vendors, suppliers and partners as well as guidance for MGE employees.
The statement was developed through a collaborative effort of employees from across the company and adopted by MGE Energy’s Board of Directors. It is consistent with guidelines and standards set forth in United States human rights laws and applicable international human rights principles.
Read MGE’s Human Rights Statement.
Freedom of Association
We comply with all federal, state and local employment ordinances. We also adhere to principles and norms that protect human rights in employment, including the freedom of association and the freedom to bargain collectively.
MGE recognizes its employees’ right to organize and engage in collective bargaining under the National Labor Relations Act. The MGE workforce is represented by three different unions:
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), Local 2304
- United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union, Local 2006, Unit 6
- Office and Professional Employees International Union, Local 39
The unionized workforce comprises almost 45% of MGE’s total workforce, far exceeding the average private sector unionization rate in the United States of 6.3%.
As your community energy company, we are committed to improving the quality of life for those we serve. We contribute to and help to better our community in three different ways:
- Charitable giving by the MGE Foundation. Established in 1967, the Foundation is our philanthropic arm. Throughout the last five years, the Foundation has given more than $6.7 million to more than 400 community organizations. Visit mge.com/foundation to read our Report on Giving.
- Corporate giving by MGE through partnerships, collaborations and projects with local organizations and stakeholders.
- Volunteerism and service of our valued employees.
MGE is a longtime supporter of the United Way of Dane County. MGE consistently ranks among the top 10 companies in total donations to the United Way of Dane County. In 2021, MGE and our generous employees and retirees gave more than $275,000 to the local campaign.